Monday, December 17, 2007

Post title

My blog has got heaps suckier lately. It's not specific enough. Gotta work on that.

Must. Push. Envelope.

I had this great idea for an exhibition today as I was walking down Cleveland St on my dinner break. Well, I thought it was great at the time, I still think it's very fine. In about 24 hours I'll think it's really banal. In about two weeks I'll know if it's stupid. If I still want to do it in six months it might get done. So entrenched is the procrastination; so essential is the forward planning.

Anyway. My idea. [Oh - it's been all built up now.] I would hire a visual merchandiser to install the works for me in the best way that they could. In a window space, of course. They could use whatever fancy techniques they have. I would give them a bunch of Fimo objects and off they could go. And I could, like, audition different people by asking them to describe on the phone what it is they do. I could record what they're saying and then make a wowie zowie superficial and graphic animation that would illustrate what they're saying. This video would show all by itself inside the gallery.

I think I'm going to pitch this to someone. I like it.

My art ideas are like dreams and my dreams are like art ideas. I suppose that's because both happen in my head.

Ho hum.

I have been thinking a lot about Adrian Mole lately, the TV show specifically. I really think it was very good.

3 comments:

teigan said...

[My art ideas are like dreams and my dreams are like art ideas. I suppose that's because both happen in my head.]

Best place.

My friend Jo had an interesting idea for a gallery installation. It involved inviting people at a preset time into a totally dark space, making them stay for, say, half an hour, and recording what they said.

Then inviting a second group, playing them back the recording of the previous group in the dark room, and making a new one at the same time. Repeat ad infinitum.

My memories of the TV show are hazy, but I remember it being good. The guy who played Adrian was well cast. Pamela Stephenson as his mum and Stephen Moore as his dad. Yeah. The books are great, too.

Happy Christmas.

wortwut said...

That art idea sounds very noisy! I would like to see that one.

PS not Pamela Stephenson! Someone else. I think of her as Julie Walters; only the internet can help me now ...

*imdbing*

Yesirree, keeerekt.

If only all my mostly useless knowledge hadn't been rendered utterly useless by the interweb. Also spellcheckers.

teigan said...

>That art idea sounds very noisy! I
>would like to see that one.

So to speak.

Visual art. I'm interested by this terminology. Did I tell you about how Freakley was totally stoked at having won SOYA in the Visual Art category despite being primarily a performance/conceptual artist? Promotional material aside, Teh Quote Generator produces nothing visual at all. But she insists that she is a Visual Artist and was really pleased that they recognised this.

She can draw really well. Which is how she wound up in a position where she can walk around talking in quotes and it somehow qualifies as Visual Art. But it's not visual art.

It's sort of.. it's almost like an injoke. That I'm not entirely sure I get.

In other news, I can't believe I conflated Julie Walters and Pamela Stephenson. I can't believe it.

Julie Walters, yes. That's totally what I meant to say. I wasn't confusing the two of them at all. No.