Friday, November 06, 2009

Meh, and not even original meh

I just watched a bird on a power line out the window, after hanging out there for a minute, reach across and chomp down a spider from a web. I'm aware of the banality of this observation, so perhaps it says something about my mood that it made me aware of how casually a life can be chomped up by some external force. All this angst and worry and whatever, when you can be Struck Down at any time; what's the point? Rationally, you'd conclude that with this knowledge the best strategy is to be living each moment as happily as you can and not worrying about or planning for the future. The reality of your life means nothing to the bird that sees you as dinner (for a quick second, before ceasing to think of you at all), but that personal, petty reality is so strong to you; how can you overcome being so wrapped up in it?

Wherefore perspective?

I was looking at Facebook (it's all your fault, Facebook) because I read something online about someone from primary school who is now on the BRW Young Rich List. I opened the mail and got my credit card bill and thought: What am I doing with my life, and what for?

3 comments:

Charlie Sofo said...

Hang in there, emma.

wortwut said...

Thanks Charlie.

I'm certainly hanging in there. I'm just spoilt and always want things to be easier when they're really already pretty good, actually.

teigan said...

I think the trick (or a good trick, anyways) is to avoid falling into the trap of conflating Life - which is awesome - with *your* life, which is always going to seem relatively trivial and meaningless in the GSOT.

[What am I doing with my life, and what for?]

Could be worse, you could be some idiot on the BRW Young Rich List