Monday, September 25, 2006

ah-ha

I am "sick" today.

Is Alan Partridge funnier when experienced through a naproxen sodium fog or is its humour one of those cumulative things? Sometimes when the jokes are lame (and I don't mean the 'chatosphere' kind of jokes that 'Alan' makes on purpose), the show becomes exactly the thing it's mimicking. Like when Alan knocks down a streaker and signs off his show with his face pressed up into a naked man's arse. I mean, the humour becomes parochial or something, slotting right into the style of British TV that Coogan is making fun of. A form following content sorta thing. Or is that content following form?

I guess I've come to it a bit late too. The outfits and whatnot have lost their specific connotations in a given time and place and just look generically daggy. But the character and his desperation are as palpable as they would ever have been ! !

Time to get on with the aforementioned art project. While I'm sitting here.

1 comment:

teigan said...

You're taking a sickie from work to make Art?

You go girl etc